The masjid abi-Bakr is located at the south-western flank of the Prophet’s Mosque, and north-west of the Masjid al-Ghamama. According to a tradition Muhammad prayed al Eid prayer at this site, and abu Bakr after the prophet continued the tradition during his Caliphate, so it was attributed to him
It was built-up for the first time in the Princedom of Omar Bin Abdul Aziz in Medinah (86-91 AH/705-709 CE), and it was renovated by the Ottoman Sultan Mahmoud II in 1254 Hj./1838 CE.
It is square shaped and the length of its side is nine meters. It was built with black basalt stones, and was painted white from inside with a dome above it whose height is 12 meters. It has a rectangular courtyard whose length is 13 meter and width is 6 meters, and a minaret which is 15 meters high.
The small mosque has one dome and one minaret has a sinlge and very ornate dome. The single minaret of the mosque retains its Ottoman structure and closely resembles to the Bab as-Salam Minaret of Masjid Nabawi. The minaret has a muazzin's balcony near the center. On the outside the dome of the small mosque is built with ribbed-style architecture.