The Bashtak Mosque was built by Prince Bashtak Al-Nasiri on the eastern shore of the Egyptian Gulf at the western edge of the Elephant Pool in the year 737 AH / 1337 AD, and he established a sabat (an upper road) linking the mosque with the khanqah that he built on the Gulf shore in 1336. The Elephant Pond was located outside Bab Zuweila between Cairo and Fustat, Egypt. The area was devoid of buildings. The reason for calling it the Elephant Pool is due to the fact that Khamarawiya Ibn Ahmad Ibn Tulun established on the edge of the pond from the southeast side, at the light of darkness street, now a house for elephants. The mosque is currently located on the path of the Jamamis, opposite the Khedivial School in Sayyida Zeinab.
Prince Bashtak Al-Nasiri is one of the princes of Al-Nasir Muhammad bin Qalawun. Al-Nasser bought him when he was young and entrusted his upbringing to Prince Qusun Al-Saqi, and he was very popular with Al-Nasir. He fluctuated in several positions in the Royal Palace, including Amir Shakkar, and the secret clerk. After the death of Al-Nasir Muhammad, his son Al-Mansur Abu Bakr took over the Sultanate in the year 1341 AD. Prince Beshtak was arrested and imprisoned in Alexandria, and he was killed in the same year and buried there. In the year 748 AH / 1347 AD, his body was transferred to Cairo and he was buried in the Salar and Sanjar al-Jawli Mosque. The Khanqah was destroyed and some of its original architectural and decorative elements were preserved when it was renovated. They are confined to the main internal entrance and the minaret. This indicates that it was a large mosque rich in decorations and architectural elements.
The main western facade with the new door is located on Darb Al-Jamamiz Street. This door leads to the old door, which is a massive door built of stone surrounded by two marble columns and on both sides of it are two rows topped by muqarnas. The ceiling of the entrance is made of stone with fallen muqarnas. From the inside, the mosque is new, consisting of six galleries, in the middle of which there is a lantern and the mihrab of marble. The minaret is original, except for its upper third cycle, which may have been built in 1861. The minaret is built of stone, rich in decorations and inscriptions.
The name of the mosque was changed in 1861, after the mother of Prince Fadel issued an order to rebuild the mosque and attributed it to her son Mustafa Fadel Pasha, brother of Khedive Ismail.