Suleiman Pasha Al-Khadem Mosque, known as Sariyat Al-Jabal Mosque, was built in 1528 AD. It is located inside the Citadel of Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi or the Citadel of the Mountain, at the top of the Mokattam Mountain. It was established by Suleiman Pasha Al-Khadem, one of the Ottoman governors of Egypt 1528/1529 AD. The importance of this mosque lies in the fact that it is considered the first mosque established in Egypt in the Ottoman style.
The Suleiman Pasha Al-Khadim Mosque was built on the ruins of an old mosque belonging to Abu Mansour Qusta, the governor of Alexandria in the Fatimid era in the year 535 AH 1141 AD. before building the castle. The mosque consists of two sections, a section covered with a dome in the middle surrounded by half-domes decorated with colorful inscriptions interspersed with various writings. On the western wall, a door leads to the second section.
The second section is an open central courtyard, the floor of which was covered with colored marble. It is surrounded by four porticoes covered by domes supported on arches resting on shoulder straps. On the western side of the courtyard, there is a small dome with several tombs on which are marble structures with evidence that ends with different models of head coverings that were widespread in that era.
Suleiman Pasha Mosque is considered the first mosque established in Egypt in the Ottoman style. The roofed part of it is covered with a dome in the middle surrounded by half-domes, all of which are decorated with beautiful colored inscriptions interspersed with various inscriptions. A marble mihrab. The mosque has a minbar made of white marble localized with decorations engraved in it. The western wall has a door that leads to an open courtyard. The floor is covered with colored marble. It is surrounded by four corridors covered by domes carried on arches on which the shoulders of its builders rest. The wall of the eastern gallery is covered with a skirt of colored marble. On the western side is a small dome with several graves on which are marble structures with tombstones that end with different models of head coverings that were widespread in that era. The domes of the mosque were all covered with green faience, and the minaret was cylindrical with ribs and had two rounds, each of which protruded from the body by means of muqarnas with multiple points, and ended at the top with a cone covered by panels of green faience. This style of Ottoman minarets prevailed in most mosques that were established in the Ottoman era.